Tuesday, May 08, 2007

"Will You Make Me a Cup of Tea?"

My love in Canada asked me, "have you ever noticed that I almost never ask for anything, or ask you to do anything, or express that I really want something?"

I've never thought about it, but since he asked, I had to think back....when we were a happy couple, spending days and nights together and almost living together...And I can't remember a moment he asked me to do things for him.

All those mornings - when we just woke up, smiling at each other, kissing and caressing each other, not really ready to start a day - None of us wanted to get out of bed....but always one of us went straight to a coffee machine and making some coffee for two. I could've been able to ask him to get me some coffee, and he could've been able to ask me to get him some coffee, but we didn't.

Why is that, I wonder. We knew we loved each other, and by asking "will you make me a cup of coffee," we wouldn't have created any problem as we both knew we would've been so happy to get out of bed and make US coffee. But why wouldn't we have done that?

People seem to be "asking" so easy other people to do things - "Honey, get me a glass or water and squeeze a lemon, too," "hey, come on down to see me," or "let's go for drinks tonight. Cancel whatever plan you've got and just mee me there at 1900."

"Why is so hard for me and my love in Canada to ask others to do things for us? " I ask myself . And I come to a conclusion. A reason why we don't ask or hesitate to ask others to do things for us is because....we have a hard time saying no to others when they ask us to do things for them. We find it hard to say a simple "NO" or "we don't want to do it" or "sorry we're not capable of doing it." So we feel for others. We don't want them to feel uncomfortable saying "NO" to us.

But, why is it that we feel this way? Why are we the way we are? Why can't we ask "will you make me a cup of tea (or coffee)?" like everyone else?


Me and my love in Canada will continue our search for a reason why...

No comments: